Patrizia Ciofi in La Straniera and live performances vs recordings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Patrizia Ciofi in La Straniera and live performances vs recordings

Post  Dominic McHugh on Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:04 pm

I absolutely loved Ciofi's performance in Straniera at the RFH last year, and once again I'm thrilled by her on Opera Rara's recording.

Has anyone else ever had this experience - of having enjoyed something in person and being disappointed by the recording associated with it?

Dominic McHugh
Admin

View user profile http://musicalcriticism.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Patrizia Ciofi in La Straniera and live performances vs recordings

Post  Janet Woodall on Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:19 pm

Sometimes, yes. It demonstrates how much the enjoyment of a live performance depends on many factors, not least the mood you are in at the time, the seats you have, whether you had a good meal beforehand. If Iíve enjoyed a perf Iím automatically inclined to enjoy the recording Ė I guess most people are like that Ė but sometimes the recording just fails to live up to your memory. Funnily, it annoys me more if recordings have been overly patched, sanitised and tweeked than if left in original form, warts and all.

But it works both ways Ė occasionally when Iíve not enjoyed a live performance Iíve been hugely surprised at how Iíve misjudged it when Iíve subsequently heard the recording.

Janet Woodall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dominic McHugh on Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:26 pm

I know exactly what you mean!

You won't like me for this, another instance of this happening was the Haitink Beethoven 9 with the LSO. I loved Mr Finley in performance, then I was underwhelmed by the recording.

*hides*

Dominic McHugh
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Janet Woodall on Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:46 pm

No problem Dom! It's not one of my favorite recordings, and sadly I wasn't present at the concert. I do much prefer recordings of live perfs though on the whole - do you?

Janet Woodall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alfredogermont on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:05 pm

For me, Ciofi as Alaide the Opera Rara recording is simply wonderful in every phrase, emphasis and color. Very sad news: it withdrew from the beautiful project Parisina D'Este. Does this mean the end of Ciofis contacts with t Opera Rara label?

alfredogermont

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dominic McHugh on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:24 am

I agree about Ciofi's Alaide, and I heard about the Parisina. Siurina is an able coloratura, but I'm not sure she's going to be an adequate replacement in dramatic terms. Time will tell, though.

I'm not sure, but *think* I heard (from Opera or some other magazine? Not through Opera Rara, I should add) that the two Donizettis slated for next year on Opera Rara weren't going to be with Ciofi anyway. I don't think this would end her relationship with the company - they'll surely be glad that she's given them time.

Dominic McHugh
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dominic McHugh on Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:16 pm

Incidentally, I'm a bit on the fence about live vs studio recordings. Without the studio, some things wouldn't get recorded (eg lots of the stuff Opera Rara does), and the clarity is preferable. However, for instance, my favourite recording of La traviata is the Giulini 1967 live ROH version with Freni and Cappuccilli. The atmosphere and excitement are wonderful. So I guess I'm up for both.

Dominic McHugh
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  BigCat on Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:14 am

I expect that a lot of the live performances I've been thrilled at would probably seem a little tame if listened to via a recording. There can be something electric at a live performance - Patrizia Ciofi as Alaide was absolutely stunning - I think I forgot to breath in the finale.

I've not yet heard the recording, so I can't comment on that.

I do hope we get to see more of her in rarer Donizetti and Bellini operas.

BigCat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  alfredogermont on Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:03 pm

I am astonished :-( at the reserve English press (Guardian, Times) to La Straniera (Opera Rara) and especially the wonderful interpretation of Patrizia Ciofi ...

alfredogermont

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top