MusicalCriticism.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBC Proms 2008

5 posters

Go down

BBC Proms 2008 Empty BBC Proms 2008

Post  Dominic McHugh Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:09 pm

As the Proms comes to a close, I wondered if anyone had any overall reactions? Better than last year? Worse?

Dominic McHugh
Admin

https://musicalcriticism.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

BBC Proms 2008 Empty Re: BBC Proms 2008

Post  StephenG Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:39 am

Well owing to travel I could only attend about eight or nine Proms this year, but I think in some important respects it's been a very good first year for Roger Wright, most notably for me in the heavy focus on Messiaen, Stockhausen and to a lesser extent Carter. The line-up of soloists and touring orchestras seemed ample and diverse, and there was a real buzz about some of the bigger concerts, though that's no change from previous years I guess. Not so sure about the whole Doctor Who Prom but not having been there it wouldn't be fair to comment further. The total coverage of various BBC outlets was outstanding though- the previews on each Prom online hit the right balance of erudition and education, and the playback monolith iPlayer was an outstanding resource (shame it isn't available outside the UK).

StephenG

Back to top Go down

Post  Jngarratt Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:05 pm

Unfortunately I don't particularly like Messiaen. I did try listening to as much as I could stand on the radio but I came out liking it less than when I started. There's nothing in the music that allows me to get involved with it in any pleasant way, and my husband feels the same way, perhaps we just don't know enough about music. What a relief, for me, to get back to Vaughan Williams, lots of pieces I didn't know but loved.

Jngarratt

Back to top Go down

Post  clauds26 Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:11 pm

Yes, I'm not a great fan of Messiaen either, I'm afraid. However the balance between this sort of music and Early Music (where my main interest lies) was an improvement this year on the last I think, which can only be a good thing.

clauds26

Back to top Go down

Post  Altius Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:47 am

hi,BBC Proms are eight week continuous concert presented at the Albert hall in South Kensington, London.

UK BBC Proms 2010 Concerts

Altius

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down