MusicalCriticism.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Matilde di Shabran

5 posters

Go down

Matilde di Shabran Empty Matilde di Shabran

Post  hugo Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:04 pm

Looks like this is a great show, if Dom's review is anything to go by - http://www.musicalcriticism.com/opera/roh-matilde-1008.shtml. Has anyone else seen it yet or have any comments? The ROH website seemed to be down for a bit this morning but I think I'm going to see if I can get a ticket...

hugo

Back to top Go down

Matilde di Shabran Empty BBC broadcast of Mathilde

Post  Amy Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:18 pm

22 November at 18:00 (UK time) on BBC Radio 3. Those interested can certainly record from the streaming audio. It's a pity no televised performances, CD, or DVD seem to be planned for this production, although a 2006 Decca recording with Florez in this role is available.

Last edited by Amy on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : date error)

Amy

Back to top Go down

Matilde di Shabran Empty Re: Matilde di Shabran

Post  Dominic McHugh Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:08 pm

Funnily enough, I met a man this morning who didn't like the production at all and who said that some people round him didn't stay for the second half (not something I noticed). The Evening Standard also seems to have given it a so-so review, largely for the production, though I think that's in line with mine. I just felt I hadn't been this excited by an Italian opera in London for months. Wonderful singing from Florez and Kurzak.

Dominic McHugh
Admin

https://musicalcriticism.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  musiclover Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:48 am

Hello, am new here - prompted to join by reading the awful reviews of this opera on the Independent and Guardian's internet sites. These people see completely switched off from reality! Evil or Very Mad

My wife and I happened to be lucky enough to get first night seats - we both really enjoyed the opera and so, it seemed to us, did the audience, judging by the ovations for the singers at the end. Not so graet for the director and his team, it has to be said, but that is perhaps not unusual.

Nobody left their seats around us - apart that is form the wife of a professional reviewer who presumably stayed on enjoying the corporate entertainment in the bar rather than watch the second act.

We enjoyed all of the singing, except that we both thought Florez sounded a little underpowered compared with the rest of the cast. In his opening aria in particular, Rizzi had the orchestra overpowering him. Kurzak (Matilde) was excellent, much more polished and confident than when we saw her in Elisir d'Amore last year.

Also, we both enjoyed Vasselina Kasarova's Edoardo very much - unlike the Independednt and Guardian who villified her - and she received possibly the biggest ovation of the night from the audience.

The opera itself was not my favourite - the second act in particular seemed unispired to me - although the Mrs. had no problem with it at all.

The set and the production? Quite clever, I liked the revolving spiral staircases, they gave plenty of three-dimensional movement but possibly needed something else as well to make the production a truly memorable one, in particular because the production team's choice of costume and design meant that the only colour was associated with Matilde - everything else was gray - and there wasn't enough oomph in the opera itself to make up for this lack of visual interest in my view.

Good but not great... I wouldn't vote to go and see it again but the Mrs. would....

musiclover

Back to top Go down

Post  operaspark Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:55 pm

musiclover wrote:
Good but not great... I wouldn't vote to go and see it again but the Mrs. would....

Being a great fan of bel canto opera i was in heaven being able to watch this opera! Laughing I thought it easily the best opera i've ever seen at the ROH and the whole cast were on excellent form, especially the wonderful Aleksandra Kurzak. I really wish i could have seen it again!

I'm looking forward to the broadcast on the radio this saturday, i think the ROH cast was better than that on the Decca recording (although this is still really impressive too). I hope the ROH release it on DVD, i'd instantly buy it!

operaspark

Back to top Go down

Post  Dominic McHugh Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:25 pm

I totally agree that, even if it wasn't the absolute best thing I've ever seen at the ROH, Matilde was still very good and rather underrated by the critics. I think they didn't appreciate the qualities of the work, which is mature Rossini and finds him doing all kinds of interesting things both with song forms and textures.

I also think you're undoubtedly right, Operaspark: the ROH cast was a lot better than the Pesaro one captured on the Decca set. I can't wait to hear Florez, DiDonato, Corbelli and Furlanetto in Barbiere at the end of the season!

Dominic McHugh
Admin

https://musicalcriticism.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  operaspark Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:12 pm

Dominic McHugh wrote:
I can't wait to hear Florez, DiDonato, Corbelli and Furlanetto in Barbiere at the end of the season!

Oh god i know! Its like the dream cast for 'il Barbiere di Siviglia!'. VERY excited about it, i can imagine it will be one of the BP screened operas along with (at a guess) Tosca.

operaspark

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum