MusicalCriticism.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An opera house for Manchester?

3 posters

Go down

An opera house for Manchester? Empty An opera house for Manchester?

Post  Dominic McHugh Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:55 pm

Dominic McHugh
Admin

https://musicalcriticism.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

An opera house for Manchester? Empty Opera in Manchester

Post  sans Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:26 pm

The sooner the better, Manchester is quite badly served on the operatic front, with the exception of ON on tour about four weeks over the year. You can't include the dreadful Ellen Kent Opera productions that come to the city, so I'm all for getting this theatre from the hands of American popcorn sellers Live Nation who currently have it into the hands of the Council and ROH.

Without taking away the experience of visiting Covent Garden, this could be great news for those who do not have the inclination or wallet to see them in London. (I live in London, so I am lucky)

Combined with the Royal Opera and Royal Ballet, ON could also move back into the centre of Manchester from the Lowry, NBT, ENB and perhaps Glynebourne opera could cast the net wider than Birmingham and Cardiff and also do a stint.

So in the weeks that RO & RB are not performing or rehearsing, the venue could be used to offer opera and ballet all year round, with the Halle just up the street, it could be a wonderful time for culture and music in the city.

sans

Back to top Go down

An opera house for Manchester? Empty Re: An opera house for Manchester?

Post  Dominic McHugh Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:23 pm

These are good points, and I really like the idea of the existing companies joining forces rather than being in competition.

However, having spent the last two nights watching Opera North at the Lowry, which was half-full, I wonder if there's really an audience for it?

Dominic McHugh
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  operaspark Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:14 pm

This is an interesting one, i remember talking with a few people last week about it. I find this slightly puzzling though because the plan would be to take The Palace Theatre in Manchester which is the theatre Glyndebourne famously refused to perform in (thats now why they only do Stoke on Trent in the North).

I think the idea is wonderful and Manchester is certainly the city for it to happen in but i can't imagine how it will work. Think of the difference in size between the two stages, there would have to be completely different productions (not just a simple transfer). Neither can i see them getting the high profile names in Manchester that they do in London, Anja Silja for example. And i think finally (and most importantly of all) the acoustics are horrible in the Palace Theatre! Shocked

operaspark

Back to top Go down

Post  Dominic McHugh Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:11 pm

Dominic McHugh
Admin

Back to top Go down

An opera house for Manchester? Empty Royal Opera House Manchester

Post  sans Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:48 pm

sans

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down