MusicalCriticism.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Macbeth at Edinburgh Festival

Go down

Macbeth at Edinburgh Festival Empty Macbeth at Edinburgh Festival

Post  RobertA Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:10 am

Your reviewer suggested Tenor Lado Ataneli stole the show (concert perforamnce of Macbeth at Edinburgh Festival). The role of macbeth in Verdis opera is of course written for a baritone and fortunately Lado Ataneli is a baritone. She also seems unaware that Verdi said there were three main characters - macbeth, lady macbeth and the witches. The Edinburgh housewives who made up the distaff side of the Edinburgh Festival Chorus sang as if they were witches on a daily basis. Magnificent !

RobertA

Back to top Go down

Macbeth at Edinburgh Festival Empty Re: Macbeth at Edinburgh Festival

Post  Dominic McHugh Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:16 pm

Apologies - we did actually correct this mistake a few days ago, but it seems not to have uploaded properly. I'll deal with it asap.

Dominic McHugh
Admin

https://musicalcriticism.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  JamieH Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:25 pm

The reviewer also refers to the 'velvety baritone' of John Relyea. He's unquestionably a bass, as the role demands, and I'd describe the texture as 'gritty' rather than velvety, myself. The equally inadequate review of 'Admeto' (the 'wailing' she refers to by 'contralto' David Bates would more accurately be described as singing consistently out of tune) does no credit to your website, and I'll be avoiding any future contributions from this reviewer. Sorry to be negative, but I'm sure you can take criticism as well as give it!
Regards,
Jamie

JamieH

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum